Wednesday

Have I mentioned that I've never painted with tempera before...

The learning curve for icon painting is a slow up hill climb.


Things I wish I'd know beforehand, in no particular order...

1. There's a reason no one paints with egg yolks anymore.
2. Tempera takes a long time to dry.
3. Acrylic paint is the the Holy Grail of paint, too bad I'm not using it.
4. Tempera takes a long time to dry; yes I know I've already mentioned it.
5. There's a reason icon writers pray before starting their piece.
6. Tempera paint is very hard to work with; if the order mattered, this would be number one.
7. I'm feeling guilty for not being Catholic anymore and for never having been Orthodox.

Pictures of my process and progress

                                                                            Dry Pigment


                                                                            Tempera


                                                                     More Colors



                                                                    First Layers