Sunday

The Underpainting...and tempera paint

My first attempt at painting with tempera.  I must say, it was a struggle to find the powered tempera. I was fortunate to have inherited some tempera, but I needed to purchase some more especially for the underpainting.  Once the icon image is transferred to the prepared board, one paints the entire board in various values of a an earthy green color.  This underpainting is important for the creation of the lifelike hues needed for the flesh.

To create the tempera I consulted several sources.  Recipes varied a little, so I opted for the simplest one.  Part one required the acquisition of egg yolk.  The yolk and white of one egg were separated.  The membrane of the separated yolk was then pricked so that just yolk, and no membrane, could be retrieved.  To this yolk an equal amount of water was added.

Next I donned a breathing mask, measured about 1/2 tsp of 'earth green' tempera and mixed this as well with an equal amount of water in a separate vessel.  I then combined equal parts of the pigment mixture with the egg mixture to make my tempera.

I then carefully underpainted the entire surface of my icon, save for the area I hope to gild. Pictures of the process follow...

                                                                     Yolk separated


                                                       Yolk and prepared pigment


                                                        Tempera for underpainting


                                                            Underpainting begins





                                                         First stage of underpainting


                                                              completed underpainting